Where Does Mold and Mildew Develop?
Mold and mildew can develop where there is excess water and moisture, in one place, over a period of time. This is can be a stressful situation to any homeowner or business owner. Serious health risks are also a factor. Water leaks from flooding, leaky roofs and broken pipes are perfect moisture sources for it to grow. This is especially true if water damage is inside the walls, or other unseen area in your home or business. Condensation in your home’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems are other entry points. It can grow well and be found in windows, drywall, insulation, wallpaper, wall paints, carpet, sheet rock and wood, among other materials. Bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, attics, windows, and basements are all prime spots for growth. The best way to protect your family and property, from the fungus, is to have it removed as soon as possible.
Should I Try To Remove Mold Myself?
For a basic bathroom tile problem, a bleach based spray is fine. An application every few weeks will keep mildew at bay. If it is developing around the surrounding walls, or ceiling, you may have an underlying problem and should get it checked out. Mold and mildew developing around any window in your home or business, can mean that there are issues inside the surrounding walls. You should call a mold remediation company, like Water Extraction Experts, to inspect this for you. It’s important to call professionals when dealing with this toxic fungus – some methods used by homeowners can actually accelerate fungal growth. UV light and high-heat drying are only temporary fixes and can be harmful to people, pets, plants, woods, and plastics in the long run. Furthermore, many materials are labelled mold-resistant, which is often mistaken for mold-proof.
If you notice a musty odor, or see black or white specks on damp walls or surfaces, you might have a mold problem. But it’s not always visible to the eye; it can grow behind walls and actively damage your home. Even dry or dead mold can release allergens and cause health issues for your family.
Mold and Serious Health Risks
Mold can go largely ignored as it manifests in slight discolorations on walls and ceilings that are mistakenly thought to be part of the normal wear and tear of a house. Mold can lead to serious health consequences if allowed to spread throughout a home. Symptoms of a mold allergy include watery, itchy eyes, frequent sneezing, a chronic cough, nasal blockage, headaches or migraines, sinus problems, difficulty breathing, fatigue, and rashes. Exposure to babies and elderly people are at high risk for hospitalization, including possible death, due to their low immune systems.
- For more information, read our blog : “How Mold Affects Your Home and Your Health.”
At Water Extraction Experts, we are trained and certified to deal with mold removal, so you don’t have to. We understand that it, not only damages property, but can also bring health risks. We have the professional tools and equipment to completely remove mold and mildew from all surfaces and air pollutants. Rest assured, your health is our priority.
Please act to preserve your family’s health. Call us for a mold inspection today: