Fall Maintenance Tips to Help Ensure NO Water Damage to your Home this Winter
As we enjoy the last days of summer and with the chill of autumn just around the corner, now is the time to start preparing your home–inside and out–for the colder months ahead. Most of our recommendations can be completed by the average homeowner. If you don’t feel comfortable doing any of these things on your own, hire a licensed professional. If you do experience any water damage, we’re always here to help you get your life back to normal.
Maintenance Check-List to Help Reduce Water Damage to Your Home:
- Check for roof damage and schedule repairs of any leaks.
- Check caulk around windows and doors for cracks. Repair caulking or install weather stripping where necessary.
- Drain your water heater and flush sediment from the bottom of the heater by opening the drain spigot and allowing the water to flow until it runs clear.
- Insulate water pipes in areas exposed to freezing temperatures.
- Check gutters for damage and confirm they’re securely attached to the house.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from collecting. This is especially important during the fall when leaves may collect in gutters.
- Check your sump pump to ensure it’s incorrect working condition, and while you’re in your basement or crawl space, check for any wet spots or puddles. If you do have water in your crawlspace or basement, give us a call. We can help!
- Blow out sprinklers and shut off the exterior water supply.
- To prevent water from expanding and cracking your home’s foundation during the winter months, check the land around your foundation to make sure water drains away from the house. The land should be sloping down at least six inches per every 10 feet. Also, make sure dirt or soil isn’t touching your siding. If it is, moisture might permeate and create water damage.
If you do experience water damage, give us a call!
Hiring a professional water extraction team like Water Extraction Experts can give you peace of mind that your home is in good hands. We work directly with your insurance and provide free estimates!
We are equipped to guide you through the process of protecting your property and getting you back to your life as soon as possible.
EMERGENCY 24/7 WATER DAMAGE SERVICES
CALL: 970-581-4498 Northern Colorado
CALL: 307-220-5900 Southeastern Wyoming
CALL: 505-250-6500 Albuquerque and Santa Fe, New Mexico Areas