24/7 Emergency Response Available Now

Mold Damage

Mold…what is it? & Why you don’t want it in your home.

While current construction methods make our homes and offices “tighter” and more energy efficient, they also make our buildings more likely to develop mold problems. Molds are fungi found in virtually every environment, indoors and outdoors. Molds grow best in warm, damp, humid conditions. They spread by making spores that can survive even in harsh conditions that do not support mold growth. In fact, mold spores can survive and spread from antiques, stored items, farm and construction areas, and vacation homes.

595px Cladosporium Sphaerospermum Colony
Cladosporium sphaerospermum Colony

Some common indoor molds include Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Aspergillus, although scientists estimate there are hundreds of thousands of species of fungi.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, people with sensitivities to molds can have symptoms such as stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes and skin. Some people who have asthma or allergies can have more severe reactions, and people with a weakened immune system are more likely to have mold reactions.

Mold grows easily when it has a food source, oxygen, and moisture. A food source is an organic material, such as wood, paper products, cloth, paint, and dust. Moisture can come from improper foundation drainage, leaking or broken pipes, flooding, poor ventilation and condensation, and clogged drains. Anywhere humidity levels are high, such as showers, laundry rooms, basements and crawl spaces, mold can grow.

When you suffer a water loss or flood, we first identify and stop the source of water. Then, we start the dry-out process. Proper dry-out within 24 to 48 hours after a water loss is essential to remove moisture and prevent future mold growth. In cases of prolonged water damage such as hidden pipe breaks, outside leakage, and other areas of moisture intrusion, we clean and treat any existing mold-affected areas. Learn more about our mold removal.