What’s Causing My Water Softening System to Leak?
It’s estimated that nearly 90 percent of U.S. homes have hard water—water containing high levels of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and iron. While hard water doesn’t pose serious health risks, it can create a plethora of issues around your home, including:
- Water that tastes “off”
- Dry skin and dirty hair from the shower
- Soap scum and watermarks on dishes and in the kitchen and bathrooms
- Water stains in tubs, sinks, and toilets
- Clothes are dingy after being washed and wear out faster
- Appliances malfunction or use more energy to run
- Poor water heater efficiency
- Clogged or corroded pipes
Water softening systems address these many problems by using sodium chloride (salt) to remove excess minerals from the water. Most water softening systems should last up to 15 years, requiring only minimum maintenance that you can most likely do yourself. Although leaks are for the most part uncommon, if you do experience a leak one of the following is most likely the cause:
- The rotor valve is leaking. The rotor valve directs water through the water softener to complete functions such as softening the water and flushing the resin filter. A defective or cracked valve may leak water and should be replaced. If the valve itself seems fine, be sure to check the valve’s seals. Fixing a leak may be as simple as replacing these seals.
- The bypass valve is leaking. Inside the bypass valve are o-rings that permit the valve to operate without leaking, and after time these may need to either be lubricated (with a silicone-based lubricant, not petroleum-based which could damage the control) or replaced.
If your water softener system is leaking, be sure to first use the bypass valve to temporarily turn the water softener off so that water will not be running through the unit, minimizing any leak damage and isolating the unit from the rest of the building’s water supply piping. Give us a call and we can help repair the water damage to your home and property caused by your water softener. We provide a FREE evaluation of your water leak damage and work directly with your insurance.
Water Extraction Experts specialize in water damage restoration, sewage cleanup, mold removal, fire & smoke damage restoration, flood damage cleanup. We have 3 locations to serve you.
EMERGENCY 24/7 WATER DAMAGE