Late Summer & Early Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Summer is almost over. The kids are getting ready to go back to school and before you know it the leaves will be changing on the trees. Fall arrives fast and it’s best to get your house ready for winter while the weather is still good.
If you keep up with these tasks, it can help avoid water damage to your home and property.
- Clean all gutters. After the trees drop their leaves, be sure to clean your gutters. Remove leaves, twigs, and anything else that might cause the gutters to clog during the winter. It’s smart to use a garden hose to test the gutters to make sure that water is flowing freely through each gutter and down the spouts
- Check your pipes under all sinks. Pipe leaks under sinks can go undetected for a long time. Run your hands along each pipe under the sink to check for any dampness. Fix all slow, drip leaks before they become a big problem. Slow, undetected leaks are often a source of mold growth.
- Remove debris from the shower, tub and sink drain. Drains in your bathrooms and kitchen can become clogged very easily. Unclog all the drains in your house to help ensure adequate draining. If drains are clogged, flooding can happen if water is left on by accident.
- Flush out your water heater. Most water heaters fail before they’re 12 years old. By removing the sediment from your water heater can keep in running longer and help avoid your water heater from forming a leak. Learn how to flush out your water heater by visiting https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/how-to-drain-a-water-heater/
- Inspect roofing for missing, loose, or damaged shingles and leaks. Summer hailstorms can cause roofing damage. Even if you haven’t been hit by a storm, it’s a good idea to have your roof inspected to ensure shingles are in place. A roof leak can cause serious water damage to your home or business.
- Before the first freeze, be sure to drain and wrap insulation around plumbing, drain and store hoses, and drain in-ground sprinkler systems. In Colorado and Wyoming, be sure to take the time to insult any outdoor plumbing fixtures and remove hoses from the spigot. We also recommend having your in-ground sprinkler system blown out professionally.
If you do end up with water damage, give us a call. We can help you!
Water Extraction Experts specialize in water damage restoration, sewage cleanup, mold removal, fire & smoke damage restoration, flood damage cleanup. We have 3 locations to serve you.
EMERGENCY 24/7 WATER DAMAGE & MOLD REMOVAL
CALL: 970-581-4498 Northern Colorado
CALL: 307-220-5900 Southeastern Wyoming
CALL: 505-250-6500 Albuquerque and Santa Fe, New Mexico Areas