Signs and Causes of a Leaky Roof
Roof leaks are a serious matter that calls for quick action. The difficult first step is to find the origin of the leak. Leaks have a sneaky way of entering your home at one part of your roof and trickling down to another area until the leak finally becomes visible on ceilings or walls. Leaks are relentless and can eventually find their way into the depths of the foundation of your home leaving much damage in its wake. Roofing leaks can develop due to improper roof or skylight installation, wind or storm damage, and lack of maintenance. Typically, roofs last 20 to 30 years so it may be time to replace it. Be on the watch for the following common signs and causes of roof water damage:
- Peeling wall paper
- Water stains, cracked or bubbled paint on ceiling or walls
- Warped or sagging ceiling
- Water stains around the fireplace
- Peeling paint or rotting signs around skylights
- Leaks, mold or moisture inside the attic
- Water stains or cracks on roof decking (around chimneys, vents, pipes, and valleys)
- Discolored roofing deck, rafters, or trusses
- Raised roofing nails
- Misaligned or broken shingles or flashing
- Clogged gutters
- Ice Dam buildup
Disaster Safety advises to be aware that roofing leaks can lead to hazardous consequences such as:
- Fire hazard from water damage: If your electrical wiring is present in an attic or ceiling, a leaky roof could pose a fire threat from shorted wires. It is recommended to turn off electricity to the area that’s affected and have an electrician examine it.
- Slip and fall hazard: A severely leaking roof can cause water to puddle on the floor. Get the water mopped up to prevent falls.
- Higher utility bills and wasted energy: If a roof leak repair is put off, chronic water intrusion will deplete the insulation significantly and your home will lose hot and cool air, resulting in higher utility bills. No one wants that.
- Compromised structural integrity: The most obvious consequence of a leaking roof is the damaged rafters, ceiling joists, wall framing and even fascia or roof line boards and exterior trim. Roof leaks lead to wood deterioration and weakened, rotten roof framing can become victims of water intrusion. You can also face expensive repairs if water leaks down into ceiling joists, walls and the very foundation of your home.
- Spongy and weak water-damaged wood can end in peeling paint, damaged ceilings, and buckled wall coverings. A deteriorated ceiling could give way and fall, damaging anything underneath.
- Interior mold and mildew issues: One of the most serious consequences of a long term roof leak is mold and mildew growth. Mold can spread throughout the home’s structure, to the HVAC system and then to the rest of the house through the vents where it can invade carpets, furniture and even clothing. Black mold is the most common type resulting from chronic water intrusion. Toxic black mold growth is rare, but even non-toxic black mold attacks wood framing, ceiling tiles, and wall and floor coverings. Mold and mildew can lead to serious health issues, especially for those with high sensitivity. Water Extraction Experts can quickly help rid your home from mold and mildew.
We want to help you!
Be on the lookout for roofing leaks before they ruin your home and safety. As you have seen, roof leaks can quickly spread and cause extensive damage to your home, compromising its structural integrity. Call Water Extraction Experts for help! Their team of certified technicians will quickly and professionally help return your home and your life back to normal again!
EMERGENCY 24/7 WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION
The Experts That Care!