7 Signs you may have a Slab Leak
What is a slab leak?
Slab leaks occur when there’s a broken pipe or a water leak in or below the foundation of a building. If your home is built upon a concrete slab, there is a good chance that a slab leak could eventually develop. There are two plumbing systems under your home, the sewer system and the water system. The sewer system is hooked up to all the drains in your house and carries all of your wastewater away from your home to the city sewer lines. The water system supplies water to all of your faucets, valves, and appliances throughout your home. Much damage can be caused if either one of these systems leak inside and underneath your home’s foundation. Since the plumbing is concealed, finding a slab leak is especially difficult and can be undetectable for a long time.
What causes slab leaks?
According to Geology.com shifting sands can cause the pipes to move and crack. Damage from expansive soils that swell and shrink can be catastrophic for a home owner. Slab leaks can also be caused by improper building construction or if the plumbing line is older and not able to withstand the test of time. Keep reading for the most common signs of slab leaks:
- Warped or separated floor boards or cracked tiles.
- A suspiciously increase in your water bill.
- Sounds of water running though none is being used.
- Cracks appearing in the foundation.
- Sudden appearance of water or mildew.
- Moist or hot spots on floor.
- Low water pressure in shower.
Are there ways to avoid slab leaks?
Yes, there are ways to avoid potential slab leaks or lessen their severity such as:
- Avoid too much water pressure which can cause bursting pipes and leaking water fixtures.
- Keep an eye on hard or soft water that can cause pipe corrosion.
- Avoid chemical drain cleaners.
- Regularly inspect for signs of leaks inside and outside your home.
- Repair damaged fixtures.
- Test your water pressure.
I have a slab leak, now what?
Leaks can happen even to the most diligent home owner. Slab leaks are perhaps the most serious and daunting problem a homeowner could face. If not quickly dealt with, it will cause serious damage to your home. When it does, you will want to call a trusted company for help: Water Extraction Experts! Our team of certified technicians use the most advanced technology in water damage mitigation and mold remediation to quickly get your home and your life back to normal again.
EMERGENCY 24/7 WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION
The Experts That Care!